Marketanpuisto (Marketta park) is the largest permanent garden and landscape exhibition in Finland, where companies, organisations and cities exhibit their products, services and know-how. The park is open to visitors daily from 8 am to 21 pm. No entrance fee. Marketanpuisto is situated in Espoo by the Ring Road III, between Pori and Turku highways.
History and background
In 1997 The Finnish Association of Landscape Industries (Viherympäristöliitto ry) had the idea to find an outdoor area near Helsinki for a garden and landscape exhibition park. An agreement was made and signed with the landscaping college YI Praktika, now Axxell Överby, to develop an area called Margreteberg in Espoo, for exhibitions and for educational purposes. The idea further evolved towards a permanent exhibition park and annual landscaping show, as quite a few companies had been looking for an area where to show their garden and landscape products.
The 5 ha of The Marketta Park’s main plan and 15 of the companies permanent show lots were designed by garden designer Hanna Hentinen. The Marketta Park was enlarged in 2003 with 2 ha and this plan was designed by Katriina Arrakoski. The Marketta Park is divided into small rented lots. A company renting a certain lot is also in charge of the designing, constructing and maintaining of the lot. The general management and development of the Marketta Park is organised by The Friends of Marketta Park Association (Marketanpuiston ystävät ry) established in 2001.
Visitors can acquire information, brochures and advice concerning the exhibited products and gardening and landscaping problems at the Marketta Parks Information office. The office is open during the summer season, from the beginning of May to the end of September. The opening hours of the office are as follows:
- Monday: 9-15 (no personnel available on mondays)
- Tuesday-Wednesday: 10-18
- Thursday: 11-19
- Friday-Saturday: 9-16
- Sunday: Closed
How to get there
By car: From the Ring Road III at the Röylä connection.
321 from Helsinki, Elielinaukio
219, 236, 239 from Espoo, Leppävaara
533 from Espoo, Matinkylä
582 from Espoontori
Guided tours of the Marketta Park are available by reservation. Prices according to the size of the group are as follows:
• < 5 persons 50 € (incl. tax 24%)
• 5-9 persons 10€/person (incl. tax 24%)
• 10-19 persons 100 € (incl. tax 24%)
• 20-30 persons 130 € (incl. tax 24%)
• Over 30 persons 180 € (two guides required, incl. tax 24%)
Permanent exhibits in the park:
• All kinds of materials and solutions for hard landscaping (natural stone and concrete).
• Special construction elements and slope construction solutions
• Gazebos, pergolas, garden bridges, decking, playground equipment, garden furniture
• Soil, composts and fertilizers for plant cultivation and growing
• Ornamental plants, such as trees, shrubs, perennials, bedding plants, bulbs and grasses
• Outdoor lighting and water features
• Examples of garden and landscape design and construction
• A stormwater project is under development, with the aim to result in examples of, and solutions to stormwater control for private and public gardens.
• With the funding from The Borisoff Garden Foundation, an inventory of ornamental plants in the Marketta Park was started in 2016. It includes the renewing of signs with correct scientific and common names and varieties. This project continues with funding from The Maiju and Yrjö Rikala Foundation.
• An annual Spring Garden Fair
• An annual Autumn Garden Fair
• Seminars and workshops for professionals in gardening, green area development and landscape planning